ISLE OF MAN MUNICIPAL ASSOCIATION
MEMORANDUM AND RULES OF ASSOCIATION
(REVISED MAY 2012)
1. The Association shall be called “The Isle of Man Municipal Association”.
2. Those eligible for membership shall be the legally constituted Local Authorities
on the Isle of Man and each Member Authority will have one appointed
representative plus an appointed deputy to attend in his/her absence.
3. The objectives of the Association are:
(i) To afford the Local Authorities of the Isle of Man an opportunity of giving
collective expression to their opinions when occasion requires and to take
concerted action in matters affecting their interests.
(ii) To petition or make other representations to the Tynwald Court, the
Legislative Council, the House of Keys, and Departments of Government
or any other body, on matters relating to the duties, powers and interests of
the Local Authorities, or on any question of public interest.
(iii) The Association may, subject to it being brought to its notice by a Member
Authority, take such action as it deems advisable with regard to any
proposed Bills, Orders and Legislation, as may from time to time be
introduced or promoted in the Legislature, by members of the Legislature,
companies or other bodies or persons, which may affect the interests of the
(iv) Any decisions made at meetings of the Executive Committee (apart from
the appointment of the officers of the association) of the Isle of Man
Municipal Association shall not be binding upon any Member Authority;
they will merely reflect the view of representatives present, whose task
then is to report back to their respective boards.
4. The financial year of the Association shall end on the 31st day of December of
each year, and the Annual General Meeting of the Association shall be held in
May of each year, unless otherwise determined by the Executive Committee.
The subscription will be set at the Annual General Meeting each year. New
members joining during the municipal year will have their subscriptions collected
on a pro-rata basis.
At the Executive Committee’s February meeting of each year, or meeting soonest after, the Treasurer shall submit up to date financial accounts of the Association to members for approval.
The Secretary shall give the Clerk to each Local Authority which is a member of the Association at least fourteen days notice of the Annual General Meeting and every member of the Association shall be entitled to be present.
5. At the Annual General Meeting of the Association, a President, Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary and Auditor shall be elected, who shall hold office for the ensuing year.
The Annual General Meeting is to be held by arrangement of the incoming Member Authority.
The President shall be appointed from each Authority which is currently a member, in turn, according to the following alphabetical rota:
Andreas Commissioners; Arbory Commissioners; Ballaugh Commissioners; Braddan Commissioners; Bride Commissioners; Castletown Commissioners; Douglas Borough Council; German Commissioners; Jurby Commissioners; Laxey Commissioners; Lezayre Commissioners; Lonan Commissioners; Malew Commissioners; Marown Commissioners; Maughold Commissioners; Michael Commissioners; Onchan Commissioners; Patrick Commissioners; Peel Commissioners; Port Erin Commissioners; Port St Mary Commissioners; Ramsey Commissioners; Rushen Commissioners; Santon Commissioners.
6. In election years a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson or President losing their seat will remain in office until the Annual General Meeting.
7. The Association shall be under the management of an Executive Committee consisting of one representative of each Member Authority from which the Officers are appointed.
8. Any seven members of the Executive Committee shall have power at any time to convene a Special General Meeting providing such members put their request in writing to the Secretary.
The notice convening such Special Meeting shall state the business to be transacted and no other business shall be dealt with thereat, unless agreed to by two-thirds of those members present.
No less than seven days notice shall be given to each Member Authority of such Special Meeting except in cases of emergency when three days notice shall suffice.
9. Each Local Authority which is a member shall be entitled to a copy of the reports and minutes of the proceedings of the Association.
10. No expenses shall be incurred or paid except in pursuance of a resolution of the Association or the Executive Committee and the authority of the Executive Committee in this behalf shall extend only to business assigned to them by these rules or by resolution of the Association.
11. True accounts shall be kept by the Treasurer of the sums of money received and expended by the Association, and once at least in every year, the accounts of the Association shall be examined and the correctness of the balance sheet ascertained by one or more of the Auditors appointed by the Association.
12. A quorum at any meeting of the Association shall be deemed to be one-half of the membership plus one of the members as defined by way of Rule 5 reviewed on an annual basis.
13. That all meetings commence at 7.30pm (unless otherwise notified in advance) and close no later than 10.30pm.
14. The Rules and Constitution of the Association may from time to time be altered or new Rules may be made, but notice of motion for such alteration or new Rules must be given to the Secretary who shall submit the same to the Executive Committee, who shall submit the same to a meeting of the Association and a copy of same shall be sent to every Member Authority of the Association fourteen days before such meeting. Any changes so made shall be subject to ratification at the next Annual General Meeting.
15. Any question of construction of these Rules and any point not provided for in these Rules shall be decided by the Executive Committee.
Revised 03 May 2012